Riar Academy of Performing Arts has a year-round program offering exclusive Dance Training in both Bollywood and Classical Kathak Dance.
“Bollywood” Dance is the most modern and ever-evolving form of dance found in the Mumbai Film Industry, and is seen most extensively in Bollywood Films produced in India. Bollywood combines multiple aspects and disciplines of Indian Folk and Classical Dances, Hip Hop and Lyrical Hip Hop, Modern Jazz and Contempory, Rock n’ Roll/Swing, and African/Afro-Jazz movements.
The RAPA Bollywood Curriculum includes training in all of these movements and disciplines, while dancing to the most recent music currently trending in the Bollywood scene.
Class options for Bollywood:
- Pre-K (Ages 3.5-5 years old)
- Kids (Ages 4.5-8+ years old)
- Juniors (Ages 9-11+ years old)
- Pre-Teens (Ages 11.5 – 13+ years old)
- Teens (Ages 13.5 – 18+ years old)
- Adults (18+ – 99+ years old)
- ADVANCED Kids (offered to 6-8+ year old Kids by Instructor Invitation only – must have danced a minimum of 2 continuous sessions with RAPA)
- ADVANCED Juniors (offered to 9-12+ year old Juniors by Instructor Invitation only – must have danced a minimum of 2 continuous sessions with RAPA)
- Teens Elementary (offered to 13+ year old Teens by Instructor Invitation only – must have danced a minimum of 2 continuous sessions with RAPA)
- Teens Advanced (offered to 13+ year old Teens by Instructor Invitation only – must have danced a minimum of 2 continuous Elementary or Advanced sessions with RAPA)
- SHOWKIDS™, PRE-ITP™, AND ITP™ (INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM) – by AUDITION only – Must have danced a minimum of 2 continuous Elementary or Advanced sessions with RAPA – Auditions offered only twice per academic year.
Kathak Dance is recognized as one of the major Classical Dance Forms of India. It is a centuries-old discipline that maintains its roots in the temple but gained its popularity and artistry from the courtyards of the Mughal Empire. The Kathak discipline incorporates fast rhythmic footwork patterns while wearing several pounds of brass bells around each of the dancers’ ankles. Its fast and rhythmic movements are complemented by grace and poise, combined with narrative storytelling, beautiful abstract movements, and stunning pirouettes.
The RAPA Kathak Curriculum incorporates both the traditional “centuries-old” discipline with a more modern version of the art form seen today. Students follow a yearly curriculum and take RAPA Certification exams before moving to the next level. The entire RAPA Kathak Program takes approximately 7-8 years to complete and ends in a Senior Graduation Project and Ceremony.
Beginning Class Options for Kathak:
- Kathak 1A (first year curriculum for Kids and Juniors under 12 years of age)
- Kathak 1B (first year curriculum for Teens/Adults 13+ years; OR must have passed 1A exams)
- Kathak 2 (must have passed 1B exams, requires 2 classes per week)
- Kathak 3+ (By Instructor Placement Only)
SHOWKIDS™, PRE-ITP™, AND ITP™ (INTENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM) – by AUDITION only –Auditions offered only twice per academic year.